The 16-19 bursary is available for eligible students studying in Sixth Form. Applications may be made at any time in the academic year, once they have attended Sixth Form for six weeks. There are two types of 16-19 bursaries; a vulnerable bursary, and a discretionary bursary. To be eligible to receive either of these bursaries you must be aged over 16 and under 19 at 31st August of this year.
How do I know if I qualify?
Bursary payments are linked to an excellent record of 95% attendance. Unauthorised absences, including holidays in term time, may lead to a loss of some or all payment.
The requirements for the bursaries are:
- Bursaries of £1200 will be issues to students who are:
- Young person in care
- Young care leavers
- Young person in receipt of income support or the equivalent universal credit in your own right
- In receipt of Personal Independence Payments (PIP) and Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit as a replacement for ESA in your own right
Universal Credit payments and Employment Support Allowance must be claimed by the student, not their parents/carers.
The discretionary bursary award is for student facing financial barriers to participation in education, such as the costs of transport, books and equipment. The bursary may be awarded to young people in the following categories:
- Students who have a household income of less than £16,190
- Students who are registered for Free School Meals
- Students who are economically disadvantaged (such as those from families on a low income through receipt of benefits)
- Students who parents/carers are in receipt of Universal Credit
How do I find out more?
For more information and requirements regarding the bursaries available, please see our guidance information and bursary attendance expectations. Should you qualify, you will need to apply by completing the Bursary Application Form and provide supporting evidence. Applications will be treated confidentially and can be submitted by post (for the attention of Sixth Form) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.