This qualification is the equivalent of an A level. This course focuses on developing the skills, knowledge and understanding that will allow students to progress onto Higher Education on a health and social care-related programme such as Health Studies, Social Care Services, Nursing, Midwifery, Social Work, Teaching or Early Childhood Studies.
Students will learn by applying their skills, knowledge and understanding in tasks or activities that are relevant to what happens in health, social care and childcare workplaces. Students will also learn how to be proactive in promoting healthy lifestyles and supporting individuals within the sector. The course is a combination of coursework and examinations. Further details are below.
Students must have achieved a minimum of Grade 5 or above in both English Language and Mathematics and Grade 5 (equivalent) in at least 3 other GCSE/Level 2 qualifications. Science GCSE at Grade 5 or above is also required. Other related GCSE/Level 2 subjects may be considered. Guidance on acceptable related subjects can be provided by the Sixth Form Leadership Team.
What will I do?
The units you will study are:
- Health, Safety and Security in Health and Social Care;
- Anatomy and Physiology for Health and Social Care;
- Nutrition for Health;
- Equality, Diversity and Rights in Health and Social Care;
- Building Positive Relationships in Health and Social Care;
- Supporting individuals with mental health conditions
Three units will be coursework based, representing 50% of the total qualification.
- Unit 1: Building Positive Relationships in Health and Social Care;
- Unit 10: Nutrition for Health;
- Unit 17: Supporting individuals with mental health conditions
There are also three externally assessed units, which represents approximately 50% of the total qualification.
- Unit 2: Equality, Diversity and Rights in Health and Social Care;
- Unit 3: Health, Safety and Security in Health and Social Care;
- Unit 4: Anatomy and Physiology for Health and Social Care.
This course comprises:
50% External assessment (Written exams)
50% Internal assessment (Coursework)
Progression & Careers
The course would lend itself to careers in the following areas:
- Primary or Secondary Education;
- Nursing – Adult, Children, Disability or Mental Health;
- Occupational Health;
- Sports Physiotherapy;
- Health Promotion.