Transport Maintenance - Light Vehicle
This engaging and motivating Vocationally Related Qualification (VRQ) is generally aimed at learners 14-19 years old who have a keen interest to learn about the maintenance of Light Vehicles and the different roles that are available in the retail motor industry. This Light Vehicle route allows learners to have the flexibility to develop their knowledge and skills across a variety of specialist areas to prepare them for further studies and potentially enter into a job role they desire in the future.
What will I need to be successful on this course?
There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification. However, selection criteria for entry takes into account each applicant’s existing academic/vocational qualifications, experience and interest in working in the industry sectors.
What Will I Do?
You will study a wide range of automotive based topics and will be assessed in a range of methods. All students will develop their knowledge and skills in:
- Health and Safety practices in vehicle maintenance and good housekeeping in the automotive environment; introduction to tools, equipment and materials for vehicle maintenance;
- Introduction to the retail automotive maintenance and repair industry;
- Spark ignition engine systems, components and operation;
- Compression ignition engine systems, components and operation;
- Steering and suspension systems, components and maintenance (4 wheels or more);
- Vehicle braking systems components and maintenance;
- Vehicle wheels and tyre construction and maintenance;
- Vehicle exhaust system components and maintenance;
- Introduction to low carbon technologies in the automotive industry;
- Vehicle electrical foundation skills.
Next Steps - Routes of Progression
This qualification will support a student’s progression to a Level 2 qualification, e.g. IMIAL Level 2 Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles. It can also help students progress to an apprenticeship, such as the Institute of the Motor Industry Sector Skills Council (IMI SSC) Intermediate Level Apprenticeship in Vehicle Maintenance and Repair, or to employment in light vehicle maintenance.