A positive behaviour culture
Newton Abbot College has a culture of respect and kindness, which is built on high expectations of ourselves and our students.
High standards for behaviour are part of all aspects of college life including the culture, ethos and values of the college. Our behaviour culture begins with our behaviour policy, which makes clear acceptable and unacceptable behaviour and our college values, attitudes and beliefs we promote. The college’s behaviour policy can be found here.
The key aim of our college culture is to create an environment that is calm and orderly, safe and supportive, and free from disruption. Students are taught to behave in a positive manner. We teach routines and habits to reinforce the behaviours expected by all our students.
We are proud of the high expectations of behaviour we have of all our stakeholders at Newton Abbot College, as they ensure students’ positive behaviour and attitudes, and thereby give them the greatest opportunity to achieve positive outcomes.
Newton Abbot College has:
- a calm and orderly environment in the school and the classroom, as this is essential for students to be able to learn
- clear routines and expectations setting for the behaviour of students across all aspects of school life, not just in the classroom so that students feel safe and can enjoy college life
- a strong focus on attendance and punctuality so that disruption is minimised and progress maximised
- clear and effective behaviour and attendance policies with clearly defined consequences that are applied consistently and fairly by all staff.
- a focus on developing students’ motivation and positive attitudes to learning, as these are important predictors of attainment.
- A clear intent to foster a positive and respectful school culture in which staff know and care about students
- an environment in which pupils feel safe, and in which bullying, discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual abuse and sexual violence – online or offline – are not accepted and are dealt with quickly, consistently and effectively whenever they occur