At Newton Abbot College we recognise that transitioning to another school is a big step in any young person’s life. Our transition pledge is an agreement which sets out how we work with primary schools, parents, carers and other external agencies to ensure we successfully support our young people to move from one education setting to another.
The transition team at Newton Abbot College are dedicated to ensuring our young people have the best possible start to secondary school.
We seek to ensure that the best support is available and that needs of all young people and their families, including those with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND), can be met.
It is important that all professionals involved have a shared understanding of what transition is and means, and that a consistent approach is taken both in principle and in practice. Newton Abbot College works closely with all stakeholders to support our young people, working within a culture of professionalism and mutual respect.
The support we put in place should allow young people moving to our college to feel at ease and to be confident and successful in their new school setting.
Newton Abbot College will:
- Provide opportunities for students to visit the college
- Foster effective and positive relationships with families and provide clear communication on the transition process
- Offer comprehensive induction days with enhanced transition days for students with additional needs
- Ask young people their opinions and listen to them
- Involve other existing students at the college in a peer support programme
- Deliver a clear transition program, coordinating key dates and activities with other providers in the locality, including having shared common induction dates (where possible)
- Engage with the LA’s phased transfer process for young people with Education Health Care Plans (EHCPs) and with identified Special Education Needs & Disabilities (SEND)
- Designate key link staff to facilitate transition
- Gather information from primary schools and make effective use of it within the transition process
- Identify and implement enhanced transition plans where needed for vulnerable young people
- Refer to the SEND Code of Practice to support families and young people where appropriate
- Provide transition welcome guides and videos to primary schools to help prepare and familiarise young people with our college before joining.